Mom is a pizza lover. She’d have it for dinner every day if she could. I am not a pizza lover. I’m the sort of person who sops up the grease with a napkin, feeds most of the toppings to the dogs, and doesn’t eat the outside crust. For a year I strictly followed a ketogenic diet to lose weight-essentially it is low carb, high fat, high protein. Funny thing about that diet? I would crave pizza. Traditional pizza is loaded with carbs however, and that’s where Zucchini Pizza comes in.
Zucchini Pizza is essentially everything traditional pizza is, but using fried zucchini as the crust. You can use whatever toppings you like on a pizza. The zucchini is fried in a skillet first to soften it up. This recipe is a great way to use up zucchini in summer-but smaller ones work best, not the huge monsters that you missed among the vines.
- 3 small-medium sized zucchinis
- Toppings: Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Onions, Bell Pepper, etc.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Pizza Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Slice zucchinis lengthwise, about 1/4″ thick.
- Cut vegetable toppings into slices or dice-depending on preference.
- Heat oil in skillet then add strips of zucchini in a single layer. Let brown slightly, then flip and brown again. Remove to paper towel covered plate.
- Lay out parchment or foil on baking sheet (this will make clean up later a breeze!)
- Arrange zucchini on baking sheet with the edges next to each other to form a surface.
- Sprinkle zucchini with Parmesan cheese, then top with Mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange toppings as desired.
- Dollop spaghetti sauce over entire pizza.
- Place baking tray in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese browns on the edges.
- Remove from oven and serve.