This is one of my favorite soup recipes. My Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup is similar to the one at Panera Bread, but I feel this one has a lot more flavor. The soup has a lot of ingredients, but don’t let that scare you away. If you prep your ingredients before starting to cook, the entire recipe can be made in about an hour.
The way the recipe is written I would count as clean eating. If you are looking for shortcuts leave out the herbs and spices listed below and pick up a box of Uncle Ben’s Long Grain & Wild Rice mix. The Uncle Ben’s version has the seasoning in a separate packet-I have found that others do not.
A fresh baguette makes this recipe even more delicious!
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- 2-15 oz. cans Chicken Broth (or 4 cups)
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups cooked and shredded Chicken
- 1/2 cup Wild Rice Mix (can be found in bulk sections of stores like Whole Foods or Fresh Thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 cups Half & Half
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat combine broth, water, and chicken. Bring to just boiling then stir in rice. Simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a small sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in parsley, onion powder, turmeric, cumin, and ginger until mixed. Add flour and stir constantly until it starts to brown.
- Stir in half & half, stirring constantly to keep from scorching. When it starts to thicken remove from heat.
- Slowly add flour mixture to chicken and broth mixture stirring quickly to prevent clumping. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on low for 15 minutes more. If the soup becomes too thick you add more half & half or milk to reach the consistency you desire.